Friday, January 30, 2009

Really Raw - Day 30...Is Raw Food really right for me?

I'm so excited that it is the end of January (almost). Upon reflection of my "rawness" this month I can tell you that I was off to a really great start for the first two weeks...and then I had that little bit of cooked food that sent me searching for other sources of cooked comfort. The last two weeks have been a struggle to keep myself at even 60% some days.

I think a big part of my struggle is not being totally convinced that 100% raw is necessary, or even optimal for health. I came across an article the other day that listed the top 20 antioxidant foods, and it listed different kinds of beans in the top 4-5 spots, even before berries! So beans, this uber vegan/wallet friendly super food is excluded based on the premise that I have to cook them? I know I can sprout them, and I love sprouted lentils, but I have to admit that I am just not organized enough yet to know my sprouts will be ready when I need them. Trust me, I'm working on it:)

I also don't agree with the primate comparison. Pardon me for not believing that we evolved from monkeys...! Yes, there are some incredible similarities, but lobsters and moths share up to 99% of DNA and differ vastly in their needs! (I recall that from a Carl Sagan book, I can't remember which).

I also read an interesting article, referred to in a reply on giveittomeraw.com:

http://chetday.com/rawfooddietnazariah.htm

A few years ago, a book that had a significant impact on the way I thought about what and how I ate was "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Even his dietary recommendations seemed extreme to me years ago, but now it makes a lot of sense...he suggests that our diet should be a whole food, vegan diet with no oils or other 'refined' foods. He states that a salad should be the main course, and emphasizes raw food preparation as a key to a healthy body.

I'm pretty convinced that cooked foods are not going to kill me, though certain ones may contribute heavily! It is vital to avoid foods like breads and baked potatoes (in excess) because of the acrylamide factor (carcinogenic compound produced when grains and high starch vegetables are exposed to high heat). But having a dinner of lightly steamed veggies and beans can be very beneficial. He also recommends restricting whole grains and starchy vegetables to no more than 1 cup a day. Dr. Fuhrman considers this way of eating "nutritarian". Clever!

If you are interested in learning more about Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations, you can pick up his book(s) or check out his website:

http://www.drfuhrman.com/

As for me and raw, I'm not giving up, and I am very keen on reaping the cleansing benefits of a 100% raw diet. In a recent post on rawfu.com, member Kiwi suggested that since February is the shortest month (lol) it was a good time for a 100% challenge. I agree, and so I plan on being 100% raw vegan for the month of february. I am seeing this as an opportunity to cleanse, and will probably incorporate a couple of days of green juice fasting if I can be so organized!

After that, Really Raw will become more of a "Really Healthy" or "Real Food" challenge for me. I am fairly convinced that I can create a style of eating and living that is economical, 90-100% plant-based, and most important of all, liveable!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment